Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 5, 2017

Apple Butter, Thrifting Scores


Apple Butter-
It is horribly smoky today! With fires in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, California and Montana it is just AWFUL! Praying for some storms to come thru the NW and start calming these down. I'm staying in as much as possible because the air is so bad...

As a teenager one of my all time favorite things on WW toast was apple butter, peanut butter and sliced bananas. Now I leave out the bananas! A few years ago I made apple butter and the flavor was really nice. I decided to make some again. After the last 2 days canning marathon I was sore and tired. Dave went to work today and I slept in. I ran some errands, got a haircut and came home. I had one box of apples reserved for apple butter and a cobbler. After I came home I started cutting and prepping. I ran thru the food processor again. I forgot to leave out my fine strainer, so I just ran it as chunky. After it cooked a bit I used my immersion blender and that really smoothed it out. Its not quite as fine as I'd like but the flavor is really yummy. I used a standard Ball Blue Book recipe, but used 1/2 the white sugar with 1/2 brown sugar, and spices. Nice and brown, cooked down, and used the inversion method. It's never failed me so far. The total was 10 and 1/2 eight oz. jelly jars. I could have made more, but I decided that was enough. Maybe more tomorrow? I will make a cobbler for sure, with walnuts and raisins, from the box with the last of the apples-





Thrifting Scores-
I hit Goodwill on the way home today, and spotted the bird above! I love birds!!! It's perfect for winter decor, kind of French counrty and it's big! It's about 7" high with a nice antique finish-

$4.00

I recently chipped my cheap, thin Ikea white platter in a few places. I kept my eye open and found this heavy, white platter-


It's 14" across by Pampered Chef, nice and heavy! I'm sure it was expensive new, and looks like it's never been used, no marks.  Perfect to replace my old one for group meals. Love it! I also had a 20% off coupon, so score! I found a like-new pair of Haflinger leather clogs on eBay (matchs my black ones) for $30.00 (way over $100.00 new), durable and comfy for work, soles show no wear-

Love the velcro adjustment

6 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nice finds! It's been a long time since I've thrift shopped. Probably because I have a mess in my garage to clean out first, ha ha! The apple butter looks delicious.

Rain said...

I love apple butter too. I have some planned for this month. Your bird is so cute! :)

Susan said...

I keep forgetting about apple butter! Probably because you have to cook it for so long...I may try some in the crock pot. What a bountiful summer you've had!

Nancy In Boise said...

Kristina, thanks. I do clear things out/donate also over time. I have reduced a lof of stuff over time. Garage cleaning is so much fun, not!

Nancy In Boise said...

Rain, yes it yummy! Crock pots do work very well for that...

Nancy In Boise said...

Susan, a lot of people don't eat it but my Mom used to buy it. Nowadays it has high corn fructose in it and the flavor is kind of blah. Home made is so much better!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...