Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jul 23, 2017

Homemade Spicy Barbecue Sauce, Semi-Homemade Fresh Raspberry Cake



Homemade Spicy Barbecue Sauce-
I bought some nice big boneless country-style (my fave!) pork ribs today. I got home and realized I didn't have any leftover store bought barbecue sauce. I LOVE Bulls Eye sauce, sweet but spicy. So I decided to make some sauce. I combined a few different versions I have made before and this is the basic recipe, tweak as you like. Some add onions, jalapenos, cayenne pepper, etc. I made a double recipe of this today-

Ingredients-
1 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons dark molasses
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1/2 Tsp liquid smoke- hickory
1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (or more if you like hotter)
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Came out great!




Semi Homemade Fresh Raspberry Cake-
We bought some really nice raspberries yesterday. Being overloaded time-wise, and tired, I made up this! I bought a yellow/butter cake mix. Add your own butter, eggs, water, easy. Into the batter I put 1/2 cup fresh raspberries. I lightly crushed them with the whisk. Baked, frosted and added a few berries. Very moist and really has the berry flavor!


You can seen the raspberries!



8 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Yum!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes, sauce was great, cake too!

Leigh said...

Oh, that cake especially, lovely! And I wish I could get Dan to like sauces. He's just a plain food kind of guy. May as a side dish for me!

Nancy In Boise said...

You could use a rub?

Susan said...

That cake is beautiful! I bet it was delicious! I like to make my own BBQ sauce, too. It always tastes better.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks very fruity. Next time I would do a different frosting~~~

Rain said...

I agree that the cake looks delicious. That's one thing I haven't tried yet, to make my own barbecue sauce...we have a favourite that we can't seem to find anymore so it might be about time!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! The great thing with BBQ sauce is it's totally flexible! I may try a mustard based one next, southern style...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...