Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 19, 2017

More Thrifting Scores! Spring Has Sprung Indoors, Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms


More Thrifting Scores!
While out and about I hit Target and the Goodwill store again, score! I got the two 10" round galvanized signs for $3.00 at Target. Will add the colored one to to my yard art, the other for inside. I got the Apples sign at Goodwill for $3.00. Perfect for my Autumn decor. I also found this new galvanized tub for a flowers/herbs on my deck, $7.00. Just need to drill some holes for drainage, and spray with some poly-


I had been looking on eBay for a used L.L. Bean canvas tote for my stuff I take to work. Way too high and not washable. In the winter I take a big tote with heavy gloves, scarf, hat, and shoes (when I'm wearing snow boots).  I needed something smaller for warmer weather, and this fit the bill at $3.00. Light canvas, and sturdy- 

Love the almost batik print



Dave got an off-brand, small table saw, was $80.00 at a thrift store, got it for $47.00! He was wearing green, discount! We had $20.00 on our rewards card, double score!! Work great. Now we can do some wood projects without Dave cutting his arm off using the skill saw...


I spotted the goodies above while at Target. The bunny with the gold inner ears is about identical to my thrifted, chalk-painted one from last year-

I like my ears plain thank you!



My Mama Pea Giveaway Quilt Win!

Spring Has Sprung Indoors-
It has been very mild this last week, pushing 70 degrees! Dave trimmed back our ornamental grasses since things are sprouting up. Chickens are loving the weather! It's been raining off and on the last few days, brings lots of worms up. Dave deep cleaned the coop today, and back filled with some soil to level off the bottom. We thought about putting in a wood floor, but in this climate the heavy clay soil works fine. The girls can dust bathe in even the snowiest of weather. We put about 5" of pine shavings on top, the "deep litter" method. Shavings were recycled into the garden. After Dave dug up the dirt the hens were in hog heaven out in the garden. Freshly turned soil!!!

While things are greening up outdoors, it was time to put away my St. Patrick's day decor. I brought out some of my Spring things, not time for Easter yet...



My mini greenhouse with the flower pot/bird and driftwood on our coffee table




Smothered Pork Chops with Mushrooms-
We had pork chops for dinner tonite, with asparagus and buttermilk biscuits. I wish I'd had some mushrooms to do this- Epicurious.com Looks great!!! I like to try new recipes so I don't get so bored.

6 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Great finds! Those pork chops look very good.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes I need to try those. Mushrooms can be a great addition to a recipe!

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) Happy first day of spring! :) Your finds are wonderful! I'm envious... :) I love the tub, for me that was the best find of the day. I get bored with our meals too. I guess that's why I spend so much time on recipe sites, in my cookbooks and in the kitchen. We aren't big chop fans, but that mushroom sauce looks super and would work really well with chicken or a pork tenderloin too. I'm a fan of any food that has "smothered" in the recipe! :)

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Rain! yes it was cute, and the first thing I spotted! I love the "Free Range Cook" on American PBS station Annabel Langbein- http://www.annabel-langbein.com/

Rain said...

She's got some good recipes, thanks for the link!! :)

Nancy In Boise said...

I love her stuff!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...