Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

May 21, 2016

Re-Webbing a Vintage Lawn Chair, Mini Road Trip, Flystrike A Chicken Killer

Renewed!!!

Re-Webbing a Vintage Lawn Chair-
This was such an inexpensive update! I found this aluminum lawn chair back in the 80's abandoned under my apartment deck. Covered with cobwebs, ripped webbing and filthy I could see the potential! I bought some blue webbing and replaced it and had a great chair. Last year the webbing finally gave out. I stored it and brought it out this month. I found new blue and green replacement webbing online on eBay for $15.00 and Dave decided to re-do it for me. Thanks Hon! Simply remove the old webbing with a screw driver and don't lose the screws! Ours were intact, so we reused them. You carefully measure the webbing for each row (do one direction at a time) and cut the ends straight. Use a very sharp pair of scissors! You then fold the webbing into a V and screw the screw into the webbing and the holes, tighten and move on! Easy peasy. I think we're good for another 30 years! 

Old webbing coming off


Corners of new webbing screwed in.


Mini Road Trip-
We've been behind in planting our veggie garden. Between the baby shower and painting the house it was delayed. We did plant some herbs and kale last weekend though! This weekend was supposed to be for planting everything else, but nature had other plans. Rain. All. Weekend. So we decided with the 3 day weekend next weekend we'd wait. What to do? Road trip for the day to McCall. Who cares if it rains in the gorgeous mountains, with great views, and good food. We had a nice lunch at a local brewery grill, delish! Sadly I didn't find anything at my regular thrift store, oh well. There was some snow on the mountain peaks, but at about 45 degrees, so not too bad.




We stopped at Stacy's Cake's for a dessert before leaving McCall and I LOVE this bathroom
shelf! 



Flystrike- A Chicken Killer-
As a small flock chicken owner it's really frustrating to lose a hen you've raised from a day old chick. I lost one hen to Flystrike a few years back. When I saw this article recently I decided to share it. It may save your birds life! I wish I had spotted it sooner, but I saw what was happening one day before I lost her. Better to know now... Flystrike-A Chicken Killer 


9 comments:

Mama Pea said...

Thanks for the info on how to re-web a lawn chair! Good to know. I do think you've gotten a good deal out of picking up that abandoned chair! Reminds me of the folding camping chair we used for years and years . . . and then my mom recovered with some sturdy canvas material once the first fabric finally gave way. Second life of the chair still going strong.

We've never encountered Flystrick (thankfully -- ish!), and hope we never do!

Your trip over the rainy weekend was truly making lemonade out of lemons!

Mama Pea said...

Oops, we've never encountered flySTRIKE either! :o]

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks. It's fun to rehab old stuff and give it a 2nd life :) And I HATE maggots, ew....

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home!

Jennifer

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks for hosting!

Susan said...

Nice job on the chair rehab!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks! And I love the color :)

Leigh said...

Brilliant re-webbing job!

I didn't realize chickens could get flystrike. I've had it with rabbits and know it's really nasty.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes it looks much better! Poor bunnies:(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...