Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Feb 6, 2016

Apple Currant Bread Pudding, Decorating A Silver Wire Basket, More Snow, Hen Field Trip, Winter Garden Survivor!



Apple Bread Pudding-
When you have tons of eggs it's time for an apple/currant/walnut bread pudding! I bought some bread since I didn't have any stale (we don't eat much sliced bread) and went to town. I used our own home canned/home-grown apple slices. It puffed up HUGE! It was great both warn and cold. I used nutmeg, vanilla and cinnamon. It was delish.

sorry for the blur, but you get the idea...


Decorating A Silver Wire Basket-
Last week I bought my thrifted silver plate wire basket, for $4.00. Now the question was what do I do with it? I did some googling and decided to do this-


I liked the idea of a lime green-ish Hydrangea I saw online and found some at JoAnn's Fabrics for a buck, clearance! I also bought some purple/blue flowers. I used floral foam and some spare Spanish moss. I think I may re-do this with regular green moss at some point so the wire will show better. For now I like it!

some indoor Spring!


More Snow-
We got another 1" dusting of snow 2 days ago, then horrible fog Thursday morning, real pea soup. It's pretty when it's snowy! We've never had this much steady snow in one winter for a really long time. 


  
Gwynn, (Celtic for white) seeing something yummy!

Hen Field Trip-
The poor chickens have a big, muddy run right now, so I let them out for an hour or more this afternoon. It was 45 today and cloudy but nice. They were in hog heaven! I let them dig thru the yard around the established shrubs. Mommy's good girls :)

too excited to stand still!!!


Winter Garden Survivor!
It's so funny how things in the garden work out sometimes. Last summer I bought an Italian Parsley plant at Home Depot. It did great all summer. I mulch everything in the raised bed late in the fall/early winter and don't bother pulling anything out. All winter I kept seeing some green. It's the parsley! Somehow it survived even through weather in the teens. That's one tough Italian!

8 comments:

Leigh said...

The basket is so pretty. Makes me recall a similar one somewhere in my past.

The bread pudding looks spectacular! I really need to make some too. A great idea for using up eggs.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes I thought the basket was junk metal at first!

Jennifer@MyFlagstaffHome said...

That bread pudding looks crazy good! Thanks for sharing at My Flagstaff Home.

Jennifer

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Wow, that bread looks so good. Look at all that snow. We are dry here - no snow this month yet and it's the one month we typically get the most.

Susan said...

Amazing bread pudding! I bet it smells so good! My hens love it when the snow melts and they get to expand their range. Looks like you are getting all of our snow this year.

Candy C. said...

Your chicken girls looks very happy to be out on a field trip. The bread pudding looks amazing. I like bread pudding but just don't make it very often, I'll have to remedy that. :)

Candy C. said...

P.S. I quit doing the Farmers Market a couple of years ago when I was able to start drawing early retirement from my old job. ;)

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Jennifer and Kristina.

Thanks too Susan and Candy. Candy good for you! I hope to retire someday, sigh...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...