Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Apr 12, 2015

More Wacky Weather, Sunday Stuff

Sunny skies today

More Wacky Weather-
I've always found April weather to be much more unstable than March, especially this year. It's like a constant battle between winter and spring. It was almost 70 Friday, but in the 40's/50's yesterday and rainy. Today blue skies, and 60-ish, maybe. Tomorrow 75! Then back down 30 degrees, then back to the 40's. Wacky. We have really needed the rain. The air is really fresh and everything is soaked. No sprinklers needed yet! I've been holding off on starting seeds outside with 30's at night. My seed starting trays are ready to go though. I might start some in the next week, just the cool weather veggies. 

Our new baby :)
Sunday Stuff-
We're saying good bye to our faithful fridge that was here when we bought the house 10+ years ago. Bye! It's been making random noises, and the water coming out smelled like sulfur lately. We found out the water holding tank is probably contaminated, and we could replace it for $50. We thought about it and decided to just get a new fridge. The new one has the freezer on the bottom, pulls open, with an ice maker (hot here!). It's nice and REALLY bright inside and I have come to HATE side by sides. A real waste of space in my opinion. This has more cubic ft. for less than a side by side, and cheaper. It's coming Wed. Oh boy! I've been cleaning out the fridge and freezer. Here's our new baby from Homedepot.com, where we also got an extra 10% off that day. It was the best deal in town for us.


Garden and chicken-wise, Dave pulled down the coop sun room today, stored it for next year, and the girls are loving having more open space. The sun room is great in the winter with the cold and rain. Yesterday they loved the nice dry extra interior space. Now today, more room! Within and hour or so they had tilled the pine shavings in already, good girls. We also replaced the heated winter waterer with the summer one.

I need to prune my blackberries as they had a really hard, tough winter-


My new neighbor, Posey! Looking in my kitchen sliding door-


I'd seen her in the backyard a few times. I found out today she belongs to the renter behind us. She's a big love button when I go outside, so I gave her a few kitty treats. Shhh, don't tell :)

We're replacing our damaged laminate counter in the kitchen soon and upgrading to a solid surface. I'm not a fan of granite, but I like quartz but Dave doesn't like stone. I don't know why, sigh. I just want something low maintenance and durable. So I'm looking at Corian or something similar, in a light gray. Something like this-


A bit darker than our cabinets, we have a lighter cherry. I will do the back splash, and we may be able to do our last small bathroom counter too. I LOVE the idea of under counter sinks. stays clean and looks great! Just wipe down.

I love our silver leaf maple, but what a mess EVERY spring. This stuff falls everywhere!



My Russian sage survived behind the coop all winter :)




8 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I love your new frig. You'll love the bottom freezer. I've been thinking about that type of counter. I would love to hear what you think of it. Our weather here in Oklahoma has been up and down too. I guess that spring for ya.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Susan said...

That is exactly the kind of refrigerator I want! I loathe the side-by-side, too. You can't put anything that is wide in the freezer and it really limits your options. Our weather has been wild, as well. 24 degrees Sunday morning, then 65 degrees during the day.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Nancy, that cat has very pretty colors.

Candy C. said...

We have been warmer than usual this winter. My parsley and oregano are still going strong! I'm soooo jealous of your new refrigerator! That's the kind I want to get for our next one. What a pretty neighbor kitty, I would have to sneak her a few treats too! Can't wait to see your new kitchen counters! :)

Unknown said...

It's been mild here too! Thanks...

Michelle said...

We are having crazy weather here in California also. Today is in the 70's but two days ago it was 55. Now they are talking about it going back down to the low 50's. Luckly it looks like we will have only about another week or so of this weather.

Unknown said...

I hear you. We're getting blasted by 45 mph winds and very cold...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...