Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jan 25, 2015

Pantry/Dark Days Challenge Meals, Vintage Chicken Wire Frame, Freebies :)


 Pantry/Dark Days Challenge Meals-
I realized the other night I did a combo! Pantry Challenge and Dark Days. I used frozen red bell peppers, frozen pepperoni, leftover cheeses, my frozen homemade/organic pesto, and local pizza dough. A double header! Tonight we're having Jambalaya (the mix is pretty good!) with shrimp and Andouille sausage. I have leftover bread to go with it, and salad with homemade dressing.



My Inspiration

Vintage Chicken Wire Frame-
Last summer I saw the frame above in Idaho City, and snapped a quick pic. They had planed the wood down to bare. On the way home I found an old, chippy, $10.00 local window frame at Habitat, and Dave and I broke out the glass and added leftover chicken wire. I thought it woulds be a great way to display my vintage kitchen items.


I recently took a small wire brush to ours, and I got to decorating today, it took a few tries for placement but easy easy otherwise. Dave added the wire and bracket to the back. All done! Here's the print that was there before, over our dining room table-


New frame-

Total cost- $10.00


Since it was much heavier, Dave added 2 brackets on the back and hung on the studs. I don't think it's going anywhere! Since it's hung with raffia I can change the placement pretty easily if needed.


Freebies-
Yesterday I was reminded of the adage- one person's trash is another treasure! I met with some fellow librarians to hang out, and some brought swappables. I scored a hand-beaded butterfly, with glass beads. I thought it was plastic until I got it home and looked up the name on the tag Grassrootscreations.com Pretty much a fair trade deal and glass beads! Really nice. I hung it over my computer in the dining room-

Reminds me of Spring!


I also got a new pitcher from Italy, nice! I decided to plant my new ivy in it :)


I like the green ivy and the green kitchen items. Maybe I'll train it up the chicken wire! Love freebies!!!

8 comments:

Michelle said...

I love your frame, It looks better then the one you saw for 27 dollars.

Susan said...

I love the plant in the pitcher - it is so lovely! And how much more meaningful things are when you make them yourself. As tempting as freebies and swaps are, I am trying to focus on moving things OUT. It's a struggle!

Unknown said...

Thanks Michelle! I love the chippy paint!

Thanks Susan, and I don't buy much lately, but I needed a pot for my ivy, and I love the butterfly! It's little :)

Leigh said...

Lovely finds as usual! The chicken wire frames are so perfect for your displays. Brilliant. And that pizza looks scrumptious!

Unknown said...

Thanks Leigh!

Unknown said...

The frames are adorable! Thanks for sharing on the (mis)Adventures Monday. I look forward to you sharing again!

Unknown said...

Thanks Mindie!

Unknown said...

Those turned out really cute. Thanks for submitting to the HomeAcre hop. Heidi @ Pint Size Farm

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...