Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jul 1, 2014

Keeping Chickens Cool, Thrifting/Grocery Finds, Battle Of The Swiss Chard


Keeping Chickens Cool-
I knew today would be a hot one! 90+, and still hot. I always work hard to keep the hens cool, and now the 4 new pullets. I got out my mister, about $6.00 at Home Depot. It uses very little water, and you can put it out where you want. Dave put it up high late in the day to start cooling off the area around the coop. During the earlier part of the day I had it by their shade area. Works great. One of hens walked over to it a few minutes after I put it out, and just stood in the mist. I think I heard her say, "ahhhhhh....". :)  I also give the girls wet treats- grapes, crushed ice, etc. I hose down the shade area twice a day, and around the coop at night. I also put ice cubes in the trough of the waterer to cool down the water. It all helps!!! I've never had a heat stressed bird so far....


Thrifting Finds-
Dave's on vacation this week, so we ran errands yesterday, and hit a new thrift store. I found the cute little 5" pitcher above for $1.50. Perfect for my little roses! Reminds me of an old farm pitcher. I had been wanting a new light fixture for our kitchen ceiling. Ours had been an ugly brass one, 2 lamps, so I had painted it black/brown for the rustic look. I spotted this one, which has 3 lamps, even better! Nice and bright and it took Dave about 15 minutes to get it up. $7.00 compared to $60.ish! Ironically it is the exact match for our 2 lamp hall fixture...


I also found a cute, cotton summer blouse, new with the tag, $5.00. Pastel stripes and nice for work.

New (with tag) garden themed, little soap dispenser- $1.50-


In the grocery category- at the Grocery Outlet I found-


Farro, $2.99 a bag, for my new recipe Farro Salad w/Radishes, Arugula and Feta, Bought 2. Will buy more maybe to stash in the pantry. Info on Farro- Villageharvest

And then, ice cream/yogurt, oh my! While I've never been a B & J fan, this is amazing!!! Not too sweet and very citrusy. I'm going back for more tomorrow :)   


Last week I also found cute whirligigs for the garden, $1.99 each. I had looked everywhere for these! I bought 3, of different colors-


Battle Of The Swiss Chard-
After having bugs eat all my Swiss Chard, year after year, I've had it. I bought some and put it in a pot. Worked great! No. I looked out 2 days ago to a very happy sparrow eating my chard! Enough all freaking ready. Soooo, I made up a bird proof structure- 2 little tomato cages together, covered with bird netting. So far, so good! They can't eat what they can't reach. Score 1 for me!!!




4 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I have my rhubarb in a raised bed and something keeps eating the leaves. Ants perhaps? I will have to put some DE in there this week.

Unknown said...

Yes, there's always something! Birds will eat that too :(

Susan said...

That mister is a great idea. If I had a water source out by the coop, I would use one, too. In my case, it's all You-Haul...:) I love the little pitcher and great deal on the grains! Your chickies are very lucky to have you looking after them. How does Anya hold up under the heat?

Unknown said...

Anya is an indoor kitty, so it A/C for her :) She does fine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...