Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, food preservation, thrifting,
cookery, organic gardening, crafts, DIYing, vintage stuff, and more...

May 17, 2014

New Chicks on The Block, The Garden's Expansion! Starbuck's Bug Protectors



New Chicks on The Block-
We went out to the local hatchery and got 4 new pullet chicks! I bought 1 Barred Rock, 1 Rhode Island Red, and 2 Amber Whites. SO cute! The Amber Whites are a new breed to me, but I liked the description, and have had good luck with RIR's-

The Amber White is a cross between a Rhode Island Red and Rhode Island White. They are a calm, easily adaptable bird with excellent livability. The Amber's beautiful brown egg color and good feathering throughout the lay makes her a preferred product.

And they were 1/2 price!!! I think their sale are winding down. Since I can sell as many extra eggs at work as I want, have 1 in retirement, and 1 that I may get rid of, I got 4. Here are the new chicks on the block-

Barred Rock is Pru, RIR is Rosie, 2 Ambers I haven't named yet


The Garden Expansion!
Dave and I talked about enlarging the veggie garden. There's so much more sun there now that we had a major thinning done 2 years ago on our hug maple tree. I thought we'd move the fence, but Dave suggested we have a chicken-free area. Less labor involved! Good idea, so we covered most of the turf with cardboard about 6 weeks ago. Today Dave started removing it with a sharp shovel. It will be composted-

Hose marks the curve to cut out


Dave moved the border of river rocks, and added pavers to the gate area. We took them from an un-needed area in the front yard. We bought some herbs, flowers, and an ornamental grass to camouflage the wire fence. We add some veggies soon...


Starbuck's Bug Protectors-
Every time I have planted young Swiss chard they get cut off at the ground by bugs. So... I thought this year I'd do a barrier. Here's what I came up with-, leftover Starbuck's cups from a friend! They were leftover at her job and destined for the recycle bin. So, I took them off her hands. I cut the bottom off with an small exacto knife, dropped the plants thru them, planted them and mounded soil up. Gave them a good water. and all done! I did this with my heritage Italian kale too. I hope it works...







2 comments:

Ashlee said...

Is there anything cuter than fluffy baby chicks???

I totally dig your bug protector! I am planting my kale later today, but have to mulch tomorrow, so maybe I will grab some cups to make my job easier tomorrow. Thanks for the idea!

Nancy po said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...