Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 5, 2013

Day Trippin'/Thrifting Vintage Finds, My "World's Biggest Chicken Egg", Easy Orange Dessert, Garden Harvest Finally! Toxic Treats For Chickens

                                                                 Payette Lake

Day Trippin'-
With my foot surgery we didn't have any kind of vacation at all this summer. No overnight trips, camping, etc. We decided to go up to McCall for the day, a gorgeous mountain town. We had lunch, coffee, then later dinner there. We hung out by the water, soaked my feet (nice and cool!) watched the swimmers, and the wildlife...

                                                                      Dave
                                                                      Lilly or iris?



Cute Moxie coffee place display. Sorry cell phone pics!


We hit the thrift store and a "junktique" store that's we always seemed to miss and was never open. It's like the other ones we've seen up in Idaho City- a lot of stuff, prices way too high, and an older owner who doesn't seem like they actually want to sell anything. It's more like a place to store their stuff. Way overpriced but I found this cute spice rack for $10.00! I think my Grandma had something similar. I cleaned it up a little and did some minor gluing-

It'll go up in the kitchen with something vintage

Dave found 3 glass insulators for $1.00 each so we bought 3. I gave them a good bath and put them on our living room window shelf-


I also found a really, nice denim blouse at a thrift store, perfect for work. Got this really pretty small casserole/serving dish marked "Mexico- No Lead" on the bottom. Really nice glazing for $3.00-



We stopped on the way and hit my favorite local farm produce store. Lat year their berries got wiped out by hail, this year they have a bumper crop! I bought their last 3 baskets they had out, small and dead ripe. The last time we bought some there I went back a week later and bought more. Best ones I've ever had! Perfect flavor and deep red all the way thru-


I made a wonderful fresh strawberry pie, OMG! It was so good! Sorry, no pics. Easy too- Strawberry Pie II

My World's Biggest Chicken Egg-
Dave brought this in from the coop and I almost fainted! I have pretty big hands, and it weighed in at 3 1/2 oz. It had to have been REALLY painful! Yowza. It had a double yolk too! Probably from one of my big Hampshire Reds-


Maybe I should buy that hen a chicken chair to rest on? Saw this at Pier One-


Easy Orange Charlotte Dessert-
After baking desserts in 100 degree weather (with A/C) I decided I needed something cold! I saw this wonderful recipe at Thriftathome.blogspot.com  Here it is, easy peasy, pretty and pretty cheap! Thanks Margo !!!

In a mixing bowl, dissolve 1 envelope unflavored gelatin in 1/3 cup cold water. Add 1/3 cup boiling water.

Add:
scant 3/4 cup sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (about 5 1/2 oranges for me)
zest of one orange  (this really made the dessert)
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
pinch salt

Place in refrigerator.  When the mixture starts to gel in 20-40 minutes, fold in:

2 egg whites, beaten with a pinch of cream of tartar until stiff
1/2 cup whipping cream, beaten until just beginning to form soft peaks

Pour mixture into lightly greased bowl or mold, cover.  Refrigerate for several hours until firm. 



Garden Harvest!
The weird planting weather early in the summer, then record heat (115) really did a number on the garden. I think things have finally leveled off. Here's yesterday harvest, plus about 3 cups of blackberries. No lemon cukes yet, but they're coming. They always seem to be last, dang it!!! There are several kinds of peppers, 2 kinds of tomatoes, and eggplants so far. Lots more green Roma tomatoes almost ripe. I'll probably use the peppers for a garden fritatta...

Toxic Treats For Chickens-
Really good, informative article here! Toxic Treats For Chickens



                    Healthy cool treat here! Watermelon!!!




2 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I absolutely love that spice rack.

Unknown said...

Me too! Looks better now that I cleaned it up a little...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...