Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Feb 16, 2013

Dark Days Meal, Independence Days Challenge, Baking Mix



Dark Days Meal-
For my Dark Days dinner tonite I bought locally made pizza dough at a small, independent place, used my homegrown basil in my homemade pesto I froze last summer. I added goat and mozz cheese, kalamata olives, fresh flat leaf parsley and oregano. It was awesome! I went heavy on the pesto and that really did it. Yummy!

Banana/raisin bread from free bananas


Independence Days-

1. Plant Something- Nothing til spring

2. Harvest Something- 3 eggs a day! Love the new light in the coop, really helped egg production.

3. Preserve/Store Something- Made pickled eggs, freezing more breads and dinner items. Made more baking mix. Keep adding things to pantry as we use them up.

4. Manage Reserves- Get a Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Bought lots of almond milk 1/2 price at the Grocery Outlet, bought local pizza dough, bought some work clothes, shoes, purse.

5. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipes- Made my 1st pesto pizza. Got free bananas from work again, made more banana bread, this time with raisins added. Eating out of the freezer more too. Made several batches of buttermilk biscuits from the mix.

6. Build Community Food Systems- Started selling eggs at work again, $3.50 a dozen.

7. Recycle/Re-Use- Scraps to the girls, taking old magazines to work, cleaning out clothing closets.

8. Skill Up- Learned about redoing my work clothing wardrobe with minimal outlay. Learned about different kinds of leather, and how cats can be fed properly to avoid renal problems. learned how to get rid of ants fast, when they showed up in the bathrooms after a rapid snow melt. What fun.

9. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- Got a great used purse on eBay, excellent leather. Washed my windows today since it was 50 degrees! I can see out of them now!

Before- dirty windows from prevailing, westerly storms and birds flying into the glass

Yucky

After! I love my Windex kit with the pole, scrubber and pads, fast and easy! Took 5 minutes!

Girls enjoying the sun

Baking Mix-
I recently had a hankering for some buttermilk biscuits and remembered I had some Baking Mix I'd made from Candy's website. I just added buttermilk and butter and wa la-
I served them up with some homemade peach jam. I also served some homemade/homegrown 
Chokecherry jelly. WOW! It reminded me of lingon berries. Tart, but sweet and citrusy.

I ran out of the mix so made up some more today, this time I used 1/2 WW pastry flour 
and 1/2 unbleached flour-


The 5 lbs. of the mix fit perfectly in my big, old glass jar. Cheaper and much healthier than store bought mix. Candy has LOTS of recipes on her website to make all kinds of things with this- Baking Mix Recipes

Lunch- homemade pickled eggs & onions, fish and rye crackers, practically Swedish!

Anya showing the box who's boss-





3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Your pizza looks awesome and so does your Swedish lunch!!
Good job on the windows, that's something that needs to be done here too.
I never thought of using whole wheat pastry flour in the Baking Mix. I tried half regular whole wheat once but didn't care for it. The pastry flour wouldn't be as heavy. Hmmmm...maybe even half white whole wheat??? :)

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I use Candy's baking mix too. Cute cat photo.

I guess you could say we had a dark days dinner yesterday too. I made a soup with a ham bone - yum!

Unknown said...

Candy, I did use 1/2 unbleached and 1/2 ww pastry. Pastry four tends to be lighter...

Good on your DDmeal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...