Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 10, 2012

Inspiring Depression Era Book- "We Had Everything But Money"




Inspiring Depression Era Book-

I stumbled on to this book,  We Had Everything But Money so I might order it! Here's a little snippet from the book:

 One Sunday we wanted to take our new baby to see her grandma, but we didn't have the 25¢ needed to buy a gallon of gas.

We did have hens, though, and 11 eggs. At that time, eggs sold for 25¢ a dozen. So we all got dressed up, and then we sat and waited for one of the hens to lay an egg! Finally one of then cackled, my husband put that egg with the 11 others, we took them to the store and exchanged them for a gallon of gas. Off we went to see Grandma!

How great is that!


8 comments:

Jane @ Hard Work Homestead said...

Wow that book looks like something I would love. Boy how times have changed in such a short time. And not for the better.

Unknown said...

Yes, it sounds good! I've got it on reserve at the library...

Michelle said...

Let me know how it is. It looks like a great book.

Unknown said...

I will!

Bridgette said...

Visit you via the Barn Hop at Homestead Revival! I would love to read this book. I will be adding this to my LONG list of "I want books".

Please feel free to stop by at Honey's Creative Homemaking

Unknown said...

What a great story! Sat waiting for the hen to cackle - love it!
Janie x

Unknown said...

I hope they didn't have to wait TOO long :)

Abbi said...

We have this book. I have long enjoyed it myself and last year I read it outloud to my kids. They loved it! It is so inspiring to see how people got through the hard times and how pretty much all of them had fun doing it.

I very much recommend the book!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...