Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 5, 2012

New Food Prep Item- Table Cream, Cooling Off



New Food Prep Item- Table Cream-

I'm currently reading The Storm Gourmet- A Guide to Creating Extraordinary Meals Without Electricity from the library. I was looking for "outside the box" cooking ideas. One of the items she kept mentioning was "table cream". I did some research, thinking it was more of a tropical item. It's used a lot in Mexican cooking for things like flan, or other desserts. It's basically unsweetened, canned light cream. It got me thinking of all the "what ifs"-
no milk at the stores, water it down.
no cream "        "        use it instead.
no half and half  "              "
and whatever else you can think of?

And there's no refrigeration needed until after it's opened. It was about $1.18 here at WalMart for a 7 1/2 ounce can. There's info on the label. I bought several and added it to my pantry.

The ingredients on the label are- light cream, carrageenan, sodium alginate, disodium phosphate, sodium citrate. Product of Mexico
I'll do a taste test soon and tell you what I think. Some said it's richer tasting than cream, and a cross between sour cream and cream...

 Another new item I found in the "imported" food section: plum butter, looks good! It's from Bosnia, and the small sample I tasted had a very nice flavor. Smooth and silky. Just sugar, plums, citric acid, pectin.

Cooling Off-
It's finally cooling off more. 80's this week, 70's next week. The horrible forest fire smoke is dissipating finally. Hoping for some much needed rain soon. At least the sky is blue again, with just a little haze...

4 comments:

Akannie said...

A friend was just telling me about this stuff the other day...I looked at one store here and couldn't find it. I'll look again. We don't use a lot of dairy in this house, but sometimes I NEED some. LOL

And I'm with you about the good old Pioneer Woman--I was suspicious of her from the get go.

Unknown said...

It was an interesting find, as I'd never heard of it. Always good to expand the pantry!

Yes, she's interesting :) I think she wants to be the next Martha Stewart...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I was just reading labels, as I made flan recently. We have a small Mexican food store too. The book sounds like something I'd enjoy reading about. Thanks for the tips.

Unknown said...

It's an interesting read, but more "high end" expensive ingredients. But it gives some ideas though too....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...