Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jun 28, 2012

Freezing & Storing Your Grains, Great Western Movie Hats (for Women Too!)



Freezing and Storing Your Grains -
There's nothing worse than wasting money, and time, when you buy something new that's contaminated. Years ago I read about all the microscopic bugs and larvae that are in packaged store-bought grains, that you can't actually see.  It's gross, I know. There's nothing more frustrating than going to bake and pulling out a bag of flour and finding it full of weevils. EW! I got into the habit of sticking anything I buy grain-wise into the freezer for several days as soon as I got it home from the store. Kills any tiny stuff in there. The freezer method has worked great for me for years, so I'll stick with what I do. I always take the grains, like whole oats, cornmeal, flours, out of the original containers right away, and then freeze them. After freezing I put them either in glass jars, or Rubbermaid-type containers with a good sealing snap-on lid. I was reading about oven canning grains, but I don't have enough room for all those jars.

Here's an article with some more tips and ideas on storage- Get Rid of Weevils



Great Western Movie Hats-
Ever since I saw the original True Grit movie, I wanted a cool western/prairie hat. Not the fabric kind with bows, but a working ranch/farm woman's hat! I stumbled onto this article and swooned when I saw the new True Grit hat- I want one!!! It's made by Stetson- The Austral. Didn't see the movie yet. Very similar to the original- Great Western Movie Hats Time to go get the DVD :)

7 comments:

Margo said...

oh, I do recommend the movie! The book is, of course, even better. I made some hotpads a while back in colors inspired by the story. It was so fun.

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I just love the hat, I want one too. And putting your grain in the freezer I do that too but I didn't know about the tiny bugs. Yuk!
And Nancy thank you for all your comments. If I could I would share that book with you. I think you'll like it. Has recipes too

Unknown said...

Thanks, maybe I'l put it on my summer reading list :)

Leigh said...

Great post. I've been storing my grains in the freezer and flours in the fridge because I can't seem to get rid of the pantry moths. sigh

We loved the re-make of True Grit and thought it was so much better than the original. Great hat site. I'm thinking my next garden hat ought to be more western in appearance anyway. Maybe the neighbors won't keep calling me a hippie, LOL

Unknown said...

Ha, who cares about labels!

Anonymous said...

Great movie! I love the hat too.

Unknown said...

Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...