Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, food preservation, thrifting,
cookery, organic gardening, crafts, DIYing, vintage stuff, and more...

May 6, 2012

Ten Vegetables You Can Grow in Shade, New Raised Bed



Ten Vegetables You Can Grow in Shade- I found this today, great timing since we've been building our new raised bed, which is part shade- 10 Veggies for Shade  Good to know!

New Raised Bed- Dave and I finally got the pile I was beginning to hate built into the new raised bed. The only cost was some screws. They had previously been untreated 2x4s from long pallets. Would have gone to the dump :) Here's Dave finishing up-


"Mr. Stumpy" will be all covered with soil next weekend, then I'll start planting herbs and veggies, weather cooperating, of course. I will plant some more grasses and/or perennials in front of the wood frame to soften it.
And then I'll be keeping the dog and chickens out (of course) as well :)


3 comments:

Candy C. said...

It looks nice and growing food is a much better use of that spot! :)

nancy said...

Yes indeed, there's enough sun for herbs and some shady veggies...

ecogrrl said...

Great idea for the partial shade and the corner! I have a corner of my oddly shaped lot I like to call the 'party hat' (my lot's a rectangle except for one corner that juts out), and this gives me mega inspiration!

(visiting via small-measures)

thx!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...