Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 25, 2012

Natural Egg Dyes, Victory Garden Art Work, 75 Degrees Today- What the Heck?

Natural Egg Dyes-   If you're getting ready for Easter soon, and like the more natural look for your eggs, here's a fun, free guide-
Bhg.com  I like the idea of home dyes, instead of the store bought tablets. Of course I love the natural colors of my eggs anyway!

Victory Garden Art Work-
I love this guy's vintagey Victory Garden Art work! A very similar visual style of the post-WW1 government posters! Victorygardenoftomorrow.com He sells posters, tee shirts, postcards and floursack towels. Cool!

It was 75 Today-
A hmmm, what month is this? I don't like the idea of putting my pasty arms into a teeshirt yet, ew. It was way too warm today. BUT, I did break out some of my summer clothes. They hide under the bed in one of those under-the-bed plastic totes during the winter. The good news- none of them fit! I'm down almost 35 pounds! Luckily some of my favorite shirts will be taken in this week, since I'm on spring break. That way I can still wear them and show off my smaller, pasty arms! I'm so glad I bought a decent sewing machine last summer, a real good investment. Little did I know at the time what I'd be using it for. It was just the right time to lose the weight. My energy is up, and we are certainly saving money on groceries and eating better...

New Chicks!
I will be shopping for chick this week, wish me luck! Two new babies will come home to add to the flock. I'll be setting up the "nursery" in a couple of days. The big girls loved getting out today, with the warm weather. It's raining tonite, and cooling off (thankfully) so all their coop shavings will get watered into the garden, and settle the dust. We're talking about a fall re-design of the coop. While I love the basic use of space, it's tough to clean, awkward for people. We may, basically, raise-the-roof and make it tall enough to put in a full size "people" door. Easy for cleaning, etc. Probably in the fall though. Dave can get lots of free scrap lumber at work, so that really helps with the recycling of building materials. We bought very little new for the coop and "sun room."

Last Year- Buffy (rip) and Ellie, our Barred Rock


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was sunny and warm here in Coeur d'Alene yesterday too, although not as warm as it was down in your neck of the woods. It was a balmy 60 degrees here. Beautiful day, but it's raining again this morning. Congratulations on your weight loss! And on the new chicks too. Adorable!

Unknown said...

Thanks, I clarified those were last years chicks, but getting 2 more this week. I'll post new pics thren!

Candy C. said...

I like the Victory Garden artwork, he does a nice job! I'm looking forward to seeing your new chickie babies! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, I think I'll get them, but I may put it off another week or 2...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...