Independence Days This Week-
1. Plant Something- I planted herbs, flowers and some veggies.
2. Harvest Something- More eggs
3. Preserve Something- Made pickled eggs from another homesteading blog.
4. Store Something- I stocked up on more canned and frozen foods, salt, sugar, more basics. Also bought canning vinegar. Looking at better places to store little used (but needed) items, and store more food.
5. Manage Reserves- Get A Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Reorganizing pantry, and pricing bigger sized bulk items. Inventoried seeds from last year. Getting 2 new chicks soon.
6. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipes- Working of freezer items, and new egg recipe.7. Build Community Food Systems- still working on that, it's spring.
8. Recycle/Re-Use- More scraps to the chickens, still using the composting bin. Re-used several containers for my seed starting- milk cartons, honey cartons, old pots. I'm taking in more clothing for spring/summer as I'm shrinking! Down almost 35 lbs!
9. Skill Up- Still doing my spring food preservation/storage class. Getting better at sewing and tailoring my old clothing. I'm reading more Mother Earth News articles, and going to order a few more homesteading books, like Storey's guide to keeping chickens.
10. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- We installed new/better attic fan to keep the house cooler in the summer and save energy. Getting bids for huge maple tree thinning for more food production, and to keep tree healthy. Ouch, that's spendy!