Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Mar 29, 2012

Independence Days Challenge


Independence Days This Week-

1. Plant Something- I planted herbs, flowers and some veggies.
2. Harvest Something- More eggs
3. Preserve Something- Made pickled eggs from another homesteading blog.
4. Store Something- I stocked up on more canned and frozen foods, salt, sugar, more basics. Also bought canning vinegar. Looking at better places to store little used (but needed) items, and store more food.
5. Manage Reserves- Get A Good Deal/Barter/Stock Up/Prep- Reorganizing pantry, and pricing bigger sized bulk items. Inventoried seeds from last year. Getting 2 new chicks soon.
6. Eat the Food- Try New Foods/Recipes- Working of freezer items, and new egg recipe.
7. Build Community Food Systems- still working on that, it's spring.
8. Recycle/Re-Use- More scraps to the chickens, still using the composting bin. Re-used several containers for my seed starting- milk cartons, honey cartons, old pots. I'm taking in more clothing for spring/summer as I'm shrinking! Down almost 35 lbs!
9. Skill Up- Still doing my spring food preservation/storage class. Getting better at sewing and tailoring my old clothing. I'm reading more Mother Earth News articles, and going to order a few more homesteading books, like Storey's guide to keeping chickens.
10. Regenerate What is Lost/Salvage Something- We installed new/better attic fan to keep the house cooler in the summer and save energy. Getting bids for huge maple tree thinning for more food production, and to keep tree healthy. Ouch, that's spendy!



8 comments:

Candy C. said...

It sounds as though you are staying on track! :)

Unknown said...

Part of it rising fuel prices, ouch. Food prices have been going up slowly, bit steadily. I'm loading up while it's not so bad. Who knows what "bad" will be???

Sunny Simple Life said...

I love this stock up plan. It takes very huge tasks and by breaking them down they seem manageable. I will have to copy this down. Love it!!

Unknown said...

Thanks! When I read about it, I thought "I'm doing some of this', but it helps me focus...

Michelle said...

I got got 6 of the items done on the list. But still have a long way to go. The main thing I want to work harder on is producing my own food.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

Great way to live for sure.

Leigh said...

I loved doing Independence Days! Have you read Sharon's book? It's 5 star. A challenge like this is a really helpful way of focusing on what's important.

Unknown said...

Haven't read the book but I'm taking her class! I talked to her on the phone as part of the class, she's great!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...