Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 3, 2011

Snow Is In The Air

Let It Snow!!! Ah, the first forecast for some snow, and rain! It's that time of year. It was in the lows 60's today, so I did a few things outside quickly when I got home- swept the back patio, checked the chickens, etc. Poor Ellie has been droopy the last 2 days, so I brought her in. Her she is in her (blurry pic) basket, on the kitchen counter-

She doesn't seem to be egg-bound, maybe just constipated. I gave her some cooked oatmeal and she ate some and drank quite a bit of water. A good sign I hope. I put her back in the coop at dark. The heat lamp's on, she should be fine, I hope. I lost 2 of my hens, 6 weeks apart in the spring (hence the 2 new ones). About killed me! That was tough losing 2 babies I hand raised out of 3...

Here's A Harvest Tradition Of Grandma's-  
She always had a big bowl of nuts out with a cracker this time of year. Here's my .50 cent bowl from a flea market, and my old nut cracker-


And some fall berries from my shrub, whose name I can't remember right now. It's the first year we got LOTS of beautiful orangy/red/green berries.




2 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We too have a hen not feeling well. I am watching her.

Candy C. said...

I hope your chickie girl perks up! It's always hard when they aren't feeling good and we can't figure out why!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...