Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 13, 2011

Early Winter Chickens and Thrifting

All three of the girls enjoyed a rest in the morning sun, while Dave worked on the coop. The electrical system had a problem, all fixed now. Ellie (now recovered from worms) on the left- a Barred Rock, then Buffy- the Orpington, then Rosie- the Rhode Island Red. You haven't lived til you've had to worm a seriously ill chicken, and see the outcome, shall we say. Disgusting, but at least the wormer worked. Did all 3, no eggs for a while. One of them had 1 small egg, but with the short days, only Rosie is a regular layer. She laid most of last winter, with no extra lighting. What a good girl!


Thrifting-  I really scored today! Dropped off a small donation at our daughters thrift store where she works. Found a like-new zip up, cable hoodie sweater $3.00, 2 perfect onion soup bowls with lids- 2 for $1.50 (1/2 off today), and a brand new mezzaluna blade with chopping board from Alaska, $3.50. I had been looking at a french onion soup recipe recently, and though- dang if I only had the bowls! I oiled the chopping board, not a mark on it.




Do you like my snowflakes I add to the blog? I tried to increase the snowfall from the directions I had on, but couldn't figure out where in the code to put the other section. I emailed for directions. Bloggerstop.net

The code for the snow-

script type="text/javascript" src="http://files.main.bloggerstop.net/uploads/3/0/2/5/3025338/snowstorm.js" />

then I'm supposed to add- 

snowStorm.flakesMaxActive = 96;

to show more snow, but couldn't figure out the location. Any ideas out there?

3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Glad your chickie girl is all better now!
What great "stuff" you found at the thrift store! :)
I like the snowflakes just the way they are, not too distracting!

Unknown said...

Thanks. Ellie ran across the yard today, what a great sight!

Michelle said...

You will love the mezzaluna blade. I have one. WE lived in Alaska and everyone uses them. So,I had to try it. They are great for chopping herd up real fine. You found a lot of good buys

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...