Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Nov 6, 2011

Chicken Hospital and Sunroom


Well, just when you think life is predictable, you get one sick bird! Poor Ellie, she was droopy for several days. Short version, she had worms. I brought her in all day yesterday, trying to diagnose her, keep her warm and push fluids and food. I read this wonderful article that really helped-
CARING FOR A SICK OR INJURED CHICKEN
After seeing she had worms, I did lots of research.  Backyardchickens.com was a wonderful resource! This morning I got her started on worming meds, and a high calorie paste for dogs (chicken flavor!). The meds (Wazine 17) kicked in in about 4 hours, EW times 2! Then she started feeling much better. Ellie above, taking a break from her laundry basket room, looking out the window. She missed her friends, but had a nice view.

Here's her pals inside the sun room during our morning lite snow-




I let her out for about 20 minutes, and her friends mobbed her. They obviously missed her and stayed by her side as she walked around very slowly. I brought her back in and she went fast to sleep. All pooped out, excuse the pun. One more day in and I hope she'll be fine. We'll see....


2 comments:

Rose Prairie Quilts and Farm said...

I hope Ellie gets better too. I hate to see my girls get sick. I have never had good luck nursing them. Sounds like you have it under control. I need to read up on worms, didn't realize they could get them.

Candy C. said...

BackyardChickens is a great resource! I'm glad your girl is feeling better! Love the comment about her being all pooped out! LOL!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...