Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 8, 2011

Garden Clean Up & Chicken Sun Room Install

Garden Cleanup- The sun finally came out, but still pretty cool, in the mid-50's. I spent quite a bit of time just cutting back the berries vines. Always love those thorns coming thru my gloves and shirt sleeve, ow. I'm happy we had such a great harvest though. Picked the last of the tomatoes and peppers. I will start tearing them out for composting tomorrow. Sad I never got any eggplants or lemon cukes. Oh well, there's always next year! You gotta be optimistic when you're a gardener, right?



Chicken Sun Room Addition- After the heavy snow that stayed on the ground last winter, and bitter cold (0 degrees) I decided we needed to add a "sun room" to the coop. Something we can dis-assemble in the spring, remove and store. It will add more light and room for the girls to stretch their legs. I got the idea here: Sun Room I love their website by the way!




 We started buying some materials yesterday and today, mostly recycled. My husband Dave is in the building process today, since the weather is decent. He designed the front, main screened wall to fit with a shower door, thinking we could add one later, for winter. We got a perfect fit yesterday, for free. Instead of covering the area with plastic (even clear is somewhat opaque) it will have nice, clear glass. Dual-pane to boot! I LOVE recycling!!!
Our sun room in progress-



Once it's installed and I paint the wood, it should look pretty good, and be nice and sturdy for the winter. We're adding an emergency door, in case one of the girls gets sick or injured. Always gotta have access. It will almost double the square footage and be nice and sunny. I'll post more photos when it's done...

1 comment:

Candy C. said...

What a neat addition to the chicken coop! I'm sure the girls will appreciate it this winter! You're right about optimism in gardening! LOL!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...