Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 21, 2011

Fun Chalkboard Paint Idea & Frittata Recipe- Use Those Eggs!

I love getting some of the HGTV emails, with fun decorating themes, and ideas. I saw this and had an "ah ha" moment- chalkboard paint on kitchen canisters! Since I have some leftover paint from my sewing cabinet I might try this: Chalkboard Kitchen Canisters


Picking more tomatoes daily, and the days are getting shorter. The hens are putting themselves to bed earlier and earlier. Speaking of hens and tomatoes- I made a wonderful Frittata recipe last night, combining a green olive/roasted red pepper recipe with another for this. I used a big cast iron skillet with the following...

Nancy's Frittata Recipe-
12 eggs
1 1/2 cups fresh sliced tomatoes
1/4 cup bacon
1 yellow onion
1/2 cup chopped green, stuffed olives
3/4 cup roasted red peppers
1 teaspoon dried thyme
splash cream
pepper (I use a lot)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees, add 2 tablespoons oil to cast iron (or heat proof) skillet, saute bacon, onions until tender, then add peppers and olives. Mix eggs, cream and pepper well, add to skillet, add tomatoes slices on top. Cook on medium high until about 1/2 way firm, put in oven. Bake about 10-15 mins. til completely firm. It was awesome combined with hot, fresh rosemary bread (my fave) from costco. YUMMY, and keeps well for leftovers. Watch out for salt, the olives and bacon are enough. You could add cheese to this but it was plenty filling. Enjoy!



  

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I want a chalkboard kitchen canister!!
Your frittata sounds great, I would have never thought of adding the green olives but I LIKE it!! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, the green olives are great with the peppers and tomatoes. I like the canisters too! Cute, and you could do it with old coffee cans, etc. too...

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

How fun! I love that idea. Thanks for the recipe too.

Unknown said...

Sure!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...