Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Sep 16, 2011

Cool Down Time, Nectarines, Wallpapers

Cool Spell- It's so much COOLER today! Only 71, compared to the 90's. There's a freeze warning in eastern Oregon, supposed to be in the mid 40's tonite. I'm ready for fall! A good rain storm blew thru last night, giving us much-needed 1" of rain, with severe thunder and lightning. The windows, walls and roof was vibrating so much I shut down the computer for fear of a surge ( I don't trust surge protectors THAT much!). It poured for hours, and my garden looked so happy tonite! Everything perked up. I picked more tomatoes after dinner and the chickens loved digging thru the wet soil.


Nectarines- We went to the front yard and started picking the nectarines tonite, which are finally ripening. I think we're going to have a lot more than I thought. Works for me, since I had less apples than I thought we'd have, and still have lots of new jars for canning. I'm making a cobbler first tomorrow after our school carnival I volunteering at. They are a french variety, really RED! First bucket full tonite. I hope to pick the rest over the next week and can next weekend. Simple light syrup slices, then spiced slices (I love those with dinner), maybe some sauce for using on roasts, maybe some nectarine butter. I loved the apple butter, and now that I understand the process more, I may tackle that. All organic, that's so cool!


Wallpapers- If you'd like some fun, free wallpapers for your computer, (not for your walls) I really like this site- Kate.net 
Here's my current wallpaper from her site-

                    

I remember when her site was tiny and had only a few dogs dressed up for fun seasonal shots...


3 comments:

Candy C. said...

Your nectarines and tomatoes look great! It has been so cool at night here for the past week that my tomatoes have stopped ripening! I think I'm going to have to pick them green and do something with them.

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love that wallpaper you shared. Very nice.

Unknown said...

Thanks! And I love my little tomatoes, great flavor. I hope we don't get an early frost, lots of medium size ones still out there...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...