Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Aug 26, 2011

Too Hot, Great Site

It's been in the 100's this week and it's just too hot. BUT I appreciate my A/C as well, and that I can water my garden without having to stay in the heat afterwards. The dog and hens are so hot. I give the "girls" a pan of ice chips in the late afternoon once I get home from work, and on the weekend. The older one loves them, the 2 younger can't figure out what it's for! I dont' leave the dog out too much, as she's getting a bit older and takes her longer to recover from the heat. Poor Sam.... I also appreciate being out of the way of major storms and hurricanes... and a lot of fires in the area around us in the mountains and rural hills.

Blackberries are really coming in, so I'm freezing some. Once they're all in I'll make some organic blackberry jam. I found one recipe with lime juice, sounds tangy! I'm getting a good, steady supply of tomatoes too. I bought some gourmet pizza dough on the way home tonite, a lb. for $2.00. Made a whole layer of garden tomatoes sliced thin, with lots of herbs, covered with mozzarella, purple onions, kalamata olives, and goat cheese blobs. Topped with fresh basil after it was baked. Amazing! I'm going to use my baby tomatoes, and my new chopper to make some fresh salsa tomorrow. Simple recipe I created, will post with photos...

Apples are getting close too. I decided (for now) I'm going to pick them all, even if they're a bit green, so I can process them over Labor Day weekend. It's a lot of apples. Glad I bought my food strainer- just cook, dump em in, and it sorts out the skins and seeds. A few different screen sizes for variety. It's a Roma brand I think, similar to the big one they sell on Lehman's. I'll post pics when I get into the processing. Will mostly do applesauce, apple butter (love the stuff), and some slices for pies. I decided to do my plain, as I like the option of doing pies, tarts, and apple cakes. Nectarines will be a bit behind, luckily, so will do those when they're ripe. Three weeks maybe??? I don't think I'll have enough jars, ah well... back to the store...

I found this great blog! Mennonite Girls Can Cook  Great recipes and photos. I love their group photo at the top of the page with matching aprons, cute!

And yes, I want this sink! Maybe the kitchen too!!!


3 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

I love the kitchen photo too. Your pizza sounds delicious!

Candy C. said...

Your pizza sounds amazing! You are gonna be one busy girl with all that produce to process! :)

Unknown said...

Yes, that's why I made the decision to process the apples a bit early. I have 3 days off work, good time. I ate one a couple of days ago, tart but good! I don't even remember what variety I planted! Oh well. It was a good eating and baking apple....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...