Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Jul 12, 2011

Bread and Biscuit Success!

I made this bread last week, glad I  used a thermometer (looking for 190 degrees internal temp), as I forgot to cover w/foil. I usually cover w/foil as it works better in my electric oven. Great taste, will let rise a little longer next time. Good basic recipe I can play with. My husband said best sandwich bread so far!


Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread

1/4 cup honey or sugar (1/8 if you want less sweet taste)
1/2 tbsp salt
1/2 cup warm water
1 egg white
3 1/2 tsp yeast
3/4 cup warm milk or 3/4 cup warm water and 1/3 cup powdered milk
1/4 cup canola oil or melted butter
3 – 3 3/4 cups flour
2 tsp dough enhancer
 Will post my pics here shortly! Basic recipe w/pics from here-
http://www.oklahomapastrycloth.com/blog/?p=608&cpage=1#comment-3417

Homemade Biscuit Recipe

The best biscuits I ever had, hands down!!! I think the buttermilk really does it!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup cold butter
3/4 cup cold milk or cold buttermilk

Preheat oven to 450°F.

In a bowl, combine dry ingredients.  Cut butter into the dry mixture until is resembles coarse crumbs.  Stir in cold milk with a fork until dough forms a ball. 

Rub olive oil into your hands, and then knead the dough 5-6 times on a floured surface, or pastry cloth.

Roll dough into about a 1/2 inch thickness and cut with a 3 inch biscuit cutter.  Place them on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake for 10-11 minutes at 450°F. or until golden brown.
recipe from-


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...