Life on a little urban homestead in the making, with ideas for self-sufficiency, Permaculture, DIYing, organic gardening, food preservation, Chicken keeping, cookery, crafts, thrifting and more...

Oct 21, 2017

Snow & Rain, Pumpkin Patch Fun! Ripen Tomatoes Indoors, Thrifting & eBay, Free Rocks, DIY Headlamp Kit Review


Last week a little snow

Snow & Rain-
It was a crazy last couple of days weather-wise! 78 degreesThursday, unusually warm, then it dropped 20 degrees in one day. It poured rain all day yesterday, Friday. It was 45 this morning and LOTS of snow on the foothills. No new photo sorry. Rained most of today and POURING tonite! Mountains are getting some early winter snow. Ski season will be here soon! I'll be getting some Halloween decor out tomorrow, hard to think November will be here soon...



Grand baby Oliver

Pumpkin Patch Fun!
We had a blast going to a local pumpkin patch last weekend. It was 65 degrees, sunny and breezy. Perfect time for a hay ride to pick out some pumpkins. Oliver had a great time there as well as Grandpa Dave-

On an old farm implement

He really enjoyed Mommy's thrifted backpack!


We wandered around and found other old tractors, etc. I bought some strawberry syrup they make and sell as well. Need to try that soon!



Ripen Tomatoes Indoors- 
With our slow tomato season I wasn't about to throw all the green ones in the compost bin. I brought them in! I washed them, laid single layer on a couple paper towels. They've been on the counter for 2 weeks and they're ripening! Both the yellow and red varieties have some nice color. I'll cut them up tomorrow for freezing. Yum!




Johnson Brothers Indies Teacup saucer, $1.99

Thrifting and eBay-
I went to Goodwill today and found some fun, and profitable, items! I loved the pattern above with the birds and flowers. I came with a plate hook as well, but took it apart to clean. I bought 2 Halloween hangers to put outside this weekend, $1.99 each cute! 


On the profitable side, I found 2 like-new L.L. Bean women's corduroy blouses for $5.00. I listed them on eBay for $23.00, I always sell these! They're about $50.00 new, but last forever-

Blue

Sage green




Free Rocks!
I saw an ad in Craig'slist for free large river stone, a very good price. Dave picked up 3 loads 3 nights after work. We have moved them to the front yard landscaping for now. Will dig up the broken bricks and "seat" these in the soil in the spring-

Looks good!



DIY Headlamp Kit Review-
We have a 2010 Mazda hatchback. Great car, has held up great!. My headlight covers/lens have been getting pretty hazy. In the dark going to work it's been cutting down on the light. I tried toothpaste, didn't work. The dealer wanted $80.00 to coat them. For $10.00 we bought the DIY kit above, the Rustoleum Wipe New Kit at a local auto store. Dave used the kit and it worked great! BUT..... when he opened the packet with the cloth with the sealant it practically burned his sinuses, so beware. He did use it in the open garage, but pretty nasty stuff smell wise. Anyway, here's the "before" picture-  

Hazy and worn

Shiny and clear! Worked great!




12 comments:

Pioneer Woman at Heart said...

We visited a pumpkin farm yesterday. So fun, and very good weather. Nice score on the rocks.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks it was a lot of backbreaking work for day for sure.

Susan said...

Thank you for that product review! I have been thinking about trying to brighten up my headlamps and now I have a reason to do it! Pumpkin farms are so much fun for kids - and their families. I have two of those LLBean shirts and just love them.

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes that kit worked great!!! I sold the sage colored shirt in less than 24 hours! I love them too, have owned several :)

Leigh said...

Sounds like winter is official for you! Lots of tomatoes to ripen which is a joy. Grandbaby is a doll!

Maria said...

What a lovely family and that little boy is adorable! I love posts like this where you can see the family and what going on. I need to post more like this and find the time to do it.
Maria

A Romantic Porch said...

Your photos are gorgeous. It looks like you are having a glorious fall.

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks it was really fun and it has a very sweet personality!

Nancy In Boise said...

Yes we're having a really beautiful honor might help for sure!

carol@The Red Painted Cottage said...

I love how you shared so much in this post. I've never tried selling anything on eBay, but maybe someday. We used to ripen tomatoes by putting them in a brown paper bag and storing in our basement until they ripened; but it's been years since we've done any of that. So glad to meet another Fantastic Fifties gal!

Nancy In Boise said...

Thanks Carol! I wasn't sure if it was too much? Lots of projects, yes. Am I am over 50 for sure, wink wink :)

Anonymous said...

Howdy! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
I'm getting tired of Wordpress becaus I've had problems with
hackers and I'm looking at altednatives for another platform.
I would be great if you could point mme in thee direction of a good platform.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...